Wednesday, June 4, 2014

School Update

The blogs are sadly neglected, mostly replaced by Facebook.

I needed to come back and update Wynn's school journey as the year is ending. Since my negotiations with the school resolved before Christmas break, it has been so much better! Wynn is doing a program called Read 180 (a Scholastic program) which has been very helpful in encouraging her to read in English. This program has components for remedial reading instruction and for English Language Learners. We still do vocabulary homework together, but not with quite the ridiculous lists as before. Wynn practices and practices spelling. (I love it that she comes to me for help, insisting that I explain the word meanings better than her teacher. Something Mom can help with!)

Because she is spending so much time and effort learning the basics - reading and writing English - I worry that she is not getting enough content classes. "We" haven't taken enough History or Science. We are going to take an online Biology class this summer.

Aside: We were told that she had to take the Biology EOC test. Washington State law: Students in the classes of 2015 and beyond must pass a biology EOC to graduate. We had already been told that she had to take all standardized tests, "no exceptions," after she had been in the US for 12 months. This EOC exam was last Friday, and Wynn, who has never had a biology class, was STRESSED about it. I got a text from her in the middle of the day, "Something is not cool!!! The school wants me to take the Biology EOC on this Friday. I don't understand why and what is about." I tried to tell her that 1) I'm sorry. 2) It's just a stupid law; the school doesn't want to make you do it either. 3) It 100% doesn't matter how she does on the test, so don't worry. (Ha! Not likely). I contacted both counselors and her math teacher, who is one of her favorite people and asked them to talk to her and try to ease her anxiety. Several conversations and a couple of days later, I got this text, "I was at office to talk about test. I will not take the test." Yay! A victory! I don't know how they arranged to exempt her (until after a biology course, at least), but I thanked them sincerely.

On another note, family life has been smooth and delightful. We have had, of course, normal ups and downs of moods and sibling squabbles - all of them, not just Wynn ;) - but we have not had any recurrence of the challenges of last August/September. She is 100% part of the family in all our hearts, and she has been behaving as if she feels the same way. She certainly likes to be busy! She has big plans and is always making more and trying to figure out how to fit it all in. We can't keep up with her.

As the school year winds down, Wynn has been collecting her awards and certificates. Having never held a tennis racquet before, she went out for the tennis team. Not knowing how to read a note of music, she joined the band, playing pep band, concerts, marching band and earning her "letter." She is brave and amazing. Her awards include most improved at tennis, meeting the reading standards for her level of Read 180 (reading in English!) and having the highest geometry grade. We are so proud!

1 comment:

  1. I'm new to your blog and got the gist that you had to fight long and hard to get academic satisfaction for your daughter. I have been homeschooling, but now that the girls know enough English, I'm having them evaluated and am thinking about public school for at least one or two of them. The problem is that they are academically waaaaaay behind, like 6 grades behind. I'm going to look into the reading program Wynn has been using and read more of your blog and see what I can learn.

    ReplyDelete