Saturday, October 26, 2013

School Advocacy (?)

Wynn's English class has been troublesome for her.  We went over her vocabulary lists nightly. She would have me read them (regular pronunciation, slow diction, definition, example sentence, regular pronunciation again) into the recorder on her iPod so she could listen and study.  She was still failing every vocabulary quiz.

It is my opinion that the words were ridiculous.  Though fine for a sophomore English class, they have absolutely no practical value for Wynn at this stage of her language learning.  They were learning vocabulary in sets related by Greek or Latin root word.  I think the first one was "graph."  Words like "biography" are probably fine, but what use is it to try to learn the definition of "hydrography" or "chirography" at this time? The same goes for the root "phone."  While "microphone" and even "phonology" can probably make sense to her, when will she really need the word "optophone?"  

I contacted the teacher asking for modification of her expected vocabulary lists, and the teacher said no.  She told me, "Actually, learning root words is very helpful in learning English," to which I responded in vague agreement but tried to point out that this was an inappropriate level for someone who does not yet have a complete handle on auxiliary "do" or "is," and has not mastered comparative or superlative "-er" or "-est."  The teacher assured me that it would soon be better as they would be transitioning to vocabulary units of literary terms.

Along came the literary terms:  plot, conflict, character, imagery, foreshadowing, metaphor, theme, personification, satire, climax, falling action, etc.  The problem with these is not in their application to written material but in the memorization of their definitions.  Personification was defined something like this, "The attribution of a human-like qualities to inanimate objects, concepts,or abstractions." (I would like to challenge this teacher to learn that phrase in Chinese.) We went over each literary term at great length using examples from Island of the Blue Dolphins, Anne of Green Gables, The Hunger Games, even The Simpsons and Veggie Tales. I am confident that she understood each one. On the test, though, she had to match the term with the formally written definition, and she failed. 

At this same time, I was frustrated with the material she was being asked to read.  I posted on Facebook:

I start reading Wynn's English homework aloud to Michael to demonstrate that I don't think it's at her reading level:

"Without, the night was cold and wet, but in the small parlour of Laburnam Villa the blinds were drawn and the fire burned brightly. Father and son were at chess, the former, who possessed ideas about the game involving radical changes, putting his king into such sharp and unnecessary perils that it even provoked comment from the white-haired old lady knitting placidly by the fire.


'Hark at the wind,' said Mr. White, who, having seen a fatal mistake after it was too late, was amiably desirous of preventing his son from seeing it."


At that exact moment, Wynn picked up Ari's Grade 1 Phonics Reader 8 and said, "What is P-A-M?" 


As I continued having a going-nowhere conversation with the teacher, it was time for Wynn to pick a novel from the approved curriculum book list.  She picked Island of the Blue Dolphins (which she has read before, but I don't care.)  She was reading the book in Chinese for good comprehension but doing the homework in English.  (Describe the setting.  Use examples of imagery. / Tell how the author uses explicit and implicit characterization to create the main character.)

Then I got an e-mail from her English teacher that began like this, "Hello - I just found out that Wynn is reading a Chinese version of her English reading book.  Having her read it in Chinese is completely the wrong direction we should go.  She needs to read English words in order to learn English. She will have to take the HSPE in English this spring - no exceptions . . ."

Can you hear me screaming?  I understand that the teacher has no say whatsoever over Wynn taking the HSPE, but throwing her in over her head and watching her flounder and fail is not going to help her pass.  The HSPE score just cannot be a priority for her.  (I did look into whether this test is available in other languages.  Yes, but students are only eligible for a non-English version for 12 months.  After that, she should be caught up to Sophomore level, right?)

The "don't let her read in Chinese" advice (accompanied nicely by a suggestion that I hire a private tutor and the teacher would help me find one) was the last straw for me.  Many phone calls to many people at the school, and she is no longer going to be in this English class.  She is going to be doing a Scholastic Program called Read 180 instead.  We will see how it goes.  (Actually, in the beginning, they were going to add Read 180 but leave her in the English class.  I had to be uncomfortably bitchy and say, "I want her out of that class.")

Anyone have experience with Read 180?  I can read about it online but cannot access the portal to work on it with Wynn at home.  I am still very optimistic that it will be a change for the better. Sorry about lowering the school district average on the HSPE! (Not.)

2 comments:

  1. As a veteran educator I say WAY TO GO MOM!!! My daughters from China were adopted at 3 & 51/2 years old but still struggled with English for years. Actually the oldest does very well bookwise in college but her spoken English still stinks. We never had ESOL services at school and were also told we should get a private tutor. Now we have a huge movement in differentiated curriculum and using strategic interventions for students who are struggling. This teacher is SO WRONG!!! She would be in trouble with my administrators. It is HER responsibility to do all she can to help a child reach instructional goals. I am so glad you were able to get her out of this class. I have heard of the program you mentioned but do not know much about it but believe it HAS to be better than what she was wasting time on. My daughter endured the irrelevant and inappropriate vocabulary in 8th grade. She was on a team of teachers and the others were good so I did not move her. Big mistake! I should have spoken up! The teacher wound up losing his teaching certificate that year for problems that were never fully disclosed to the public. You are your child's best advocate. Keep up the awesome work and I will be praying that this program is better suited for her and that it helps her improve her school related English skills.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, English! My son doesn't read well in Chinese, let alone English, but I have found myself wondering if it's really useful for him to be taught to identify an adjective when he can't read a sentence yet. His teachers (including ESL) all see it as their job to modify the curriculum they are teaching to the other students, not to back up and give him the basics that he needs. So it's like building a house without a foundation. I can give him the foundation myself over the summers (he needs the structure anyway, though he doesn't like it!), but it's a bad policy because they could be teaching this way with an immigrant child who is completely dependent on the school for their education...and that child would leave with huge gaps. I argued my case some with the school without getting anywhere. Since other things are going very well and he is the only student they're dealing with that has his exact issues, I gave it up. I'm glad you were able to get a solution for Wynn, and I hope it works out well!

    ReplyDelete